Tuesday

Re-Purposing Memories...Recycled Gift Packaging...Easy Retro Wraps...

We were honored to contribute to a great Associated Press article featuring holiday re-usables. Yesterday morning, a wonderful photographer stopped by our house and took some photos to accompany the article. It's already popping up all over...here's a link if you want to take a peek!
http://www.thestar.com/article/55785

==============

As you probably know…I’ve been collecting (and re-using) ribbons and holiday gift packaging for years! In fact, I write about it in my book “Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons: Celebrate Holidays With Elegance and Simplicity--On Any Income," published by Bantam Books, NY, 2000. I also convert vintage linens, such as doilies and handkerchiefs, into special bows for packaging gifts (see earlier posts for more details). As well, I've long collected those colorful English biscuit tins and reuse them from year to year to hold gifts (they look especially pretty under the tree... also very frugal and easy).
-------
Re-purposing memories....


We've been using these hat boxes for about a dozen or so years. They nest for easy storage...


This is a small pillow case from the 1940's...it's been in our family for as long as I can remember...but I'm not sure where it originated...
the fur clip is part of our (extensive) collection of vintage costume jewelry...
you will see it used generously throughout this post...


...this biscuit tin has been in the family for decades...
I rescued this and two others from the garage sale box...when my parents were moving twenty years ago...the vintage brooch is carved Mother-of-Pearl...so pretty...


...this is another of our vintage English biscuit tins.
...topped with another vintage dress clip (the mate lost long ago)...


...about five years ago, I found a fabulous deal on rolls of white tulle ribbon...
I'm still using it...I roll it up and recycle it every year...

...these heart shaped hat boxes were given to my daughters, Rosie and Katie,
about ten years ago...





















 
CURRENT MOON